Sunday, July 19, 2009

Roma Pt. 2

I need to be on a train to Tuscany here in just about an hour, and although I am looking forward to being there, I will nonetheless be sad to leave Roma. My first couchsurfing friend, Roberto, was such a wonderful friend to show me around the city. On Friday, I joined he and his cousin from Milano out at a club for a bit. The first one we tried had too long of a line, so we then went to an outdoor club that is right on the Circus Maximus! The cover is free until 2am (they go out WAY later here, stay out till 4 or 5 usually) so we didn't have to pay. We didn't stay too long, and actually left just a little before 2, but I once again had a great time talking with Roberto and his cousin. The sightseeing was, as always, amazing. I saw St Peter's, the Sistine Chapel, and the Vatican Museum which, altogether, probably took about 6 hours. Last night I had a couple of missed connections with couchsurfing people, so I ended up just staying around the hotel and having an espresso and a cigar on the Piazza Santa Maria Maggiore. Then, however, someone from CS did get in touch with me; his name was Luis and he was a really nice guy who was originally from Bolivia but has been living and studying in Brussels for a year or so. We just had one drink at the local bar/club (which caters mostly to the tourists at the hostel and hotel nearby), then walked all the way to the Colosseum looking for another bar or club....finding none. So we just walked back around 2, and he left. However, right before he did we bumped into some wasted Irish guys, asking frantically for a bar pub or club as though they were inquiring about an injured family memeber. Turns out, they were all cousins and were in town for a wedding. Luis bid me farewell and we exchanged a knowing smile as we watched the Irishmen stumble their way up to follow me. I showed them the bar right near my hotel, and, thinking I would turn away to go to bed, I was practically forced down into the basement to have a drink with them. It became immediately apparent that conversation down by the dancefloor was utterly impossible, so I went back upstairs to the outside patio (basically the sidewalk) with one of two of them (I think there were 6 of them in all). There, we met two girls from Norway who spoke the most fluent English I've heard from a European since arriving. They were FAR more sober, so I ended up mostly talking with them, as we watched the wedding party (most of whom were probably 19) get increasingly mashed, and eventually, thrown out. Then, after being teased about not being drunk on my last night in Rome by the bartender, I finally went back to the hotel at about 4am....at which time I woke my parents up.
AH! TRAIN! I have to run.

1 comment:

  1. im glad you're having a great time so far :) looks like bobby's amoxicillin wasn't the best for me...i ended up having an allergic reaction to the antibiotics, which apparently i had never taken until last week. so, sweet. another week of summer that kind of sucks. but im in high spirits! and actually going to a doctor tomorrow... haha

    ReplyDelete