Monday, September 20, 2010

Sawgrass

I.

This endless errant idling assaults me.
I dream of a more purposed wandering:
Of weaving for years like a crumb bound ant on the kitchen floor,
Of cresting a mountain path, white dusted rocks, fine twill of snow
Without footprint, cold, clean air cutting into my lungs
And cut through by low sun over cliffs, I watch
Nightfall come like a lynx stalking forward through the wood,
Mountain shadows sliding up from the valley
Then swallowing back on themselves, breeding darkness, breeding
The litany of stars


II.

At the lakeshore, beneath the still water: smooth dark stones;
The bare branch framed moonlight of November,
Where white wolves snap their gaze to the crack of a branch,
The familiar haunt of dusk, coming quicker each evening;
Halt of treeleaf, growth of night, baritone whistle of wind
And a deepening dark through the white pines—
The unrecordable sound of eternity hums;

I watched the early autumn turn, the green leaves singed yellow at the edge
Frayed with fall, tired and wind-burnt after summer's spent;
I watched the wrens and warblers run, knifing through the sky, watched
When their darting paths curved downward through the chilling air,
Some internal compass swinging South.
And now in these colder moments I speak softly to their absence,
Barefoot atop the mud and crunch collage of brown and ruddied leaves,
Through the waking winter air I shape my words
As to a lover in the first morning windowlight;
Far in the forest, a Great White Owl opens
Her deep, dark eyes toward the brimming moon.



III.

I feel a soft and quiet pull within
As the flower of desire blooms in my heart,
As I burn to be brought back in new forms,
To reemerge in the Oak leaves' lines,
A resurgent rise like the humpback whale
Breaking the surface with its balletic body,
White misted spray of breath;
Or when birds break out of a tree all at once,
Flock of flight, flapping wings
Daring you to follow as they fly
To you, then overhead, beyond
The space where the forest opens like your hand
Into a plain of tall grass, golden rapeseed in brilliant bloom,
Out over amber sandstone crumbling cliffs,
Then down, diving inches from the cliff-face
To cut skyward above the canopy of leaves,
Disappearing into unbound sun.


IV.

In this spacious room of twilight
I walk quietly with my spirit, arms outstretched,
Touching my fingertips to the tops of the tall grass;
This is where the divine is hiding
As the tide hides in the waves,
As the moon hides in the tide;

This is where the fading last light preaches
Wordless, sermon of silence as the coming night
Vibrates harmonious around you, vibrates
Around the bend of a branch as a bird
Takes the air under her wings to arise;
Nothing that grows and dies is out of tune;
Nothing that arises from your heartbeats is profane;
Everything exists only in interrelation, everything depends on
This one blade of sawgrass, taller than the rest,
And the choice of the firefly who is hovering toward it,
About to alight

No comments:

Post a Comment