Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Basel! (Not of Baker St.)

Basel was great. It wasnt quite as picturesqe as Lausanne, a city which I still feel in love with a week later, but it was a ton of fun. I just happened to choose to leave Switzerland on the national holiday, but the celebration was the night before, so my last night in Basel I went to a barbecue, saw fireworks over the Rhein, and then went to a really cool bar. It was in an old train yard, without any real advertising from the street, so you just walk into this industrial complex and eventually you come to this huge open space with two outdoor bars and music and a dance floor right next to the old abandoned railroad tracks. It was pretty awesome. Also, earlier that day, we went swimming in the Rhein! I´ve never swam in a river with quite so fast a current before, so we just walked upstream for about an hour then got in and floated/swam back down.
Unfortunately, my train from Basel nach Köln war ausgefallen. Canceled. So getting to Cologne was a bit of a pain, but I made it! More on Cologne soon, when I have time, but for now I am off to Hamburg!
Tschüss!

No comments:

Post a Comment